Friday, January 31, 2014

Becoming the Strongest Version of Yourself

His name is Elliot Hulse.

He is a youtube personality, I would say, who talks about working out and strength training. In the beginning, I watched his videos about the proper mechanics of exercises like deadlifts and squats. He used a lot of fancy terms referring to various muscle parts and physics involving the exercises. It was interesting, but I also got the impression that he was just another one of those cocky workout 'guru', and half the words that came out of his mouth were probably bullshit.

Lately, as I began to workout again and search for various tips/hints about working out on youtube, I rediscovered Elliot Hulse. A lot of his new videos talk about things much more than just lifting weights. To him, life is all about 'becoming the strongest version of yourself,' and he says this is not necessarily about 'physical' strength (although that is how 'strongest version' is manifested in him). Not only does he talk about hitting heavy weights, but a lot of his focus is about strengthening yourself at the 'psychological,' physiological,' and 'spiritual' level.

Again, I thought his videos were just bunch of rambling that doesn't mean much of anything, but the more I watch it, I began to realize he is actually very knowledgeable and have a lot of experience thinking about the human body. To me, he seemed more like a philosopher who thinks about how to have a balanced, productive, and happy life in this modern world than a simple workout guru.


Here is Elliot Hulse talking about recognizing 3 sets of mind humans have: rational, emotional, and instinctual mind. He says modern society emphasizes the rational mind above all else, but we can't ignore the other two.


Here is Elliot reading a letter from a cancer survivor who found the motivation to live through Elliot Hulse.

Becoming the strongest version of yourself....I like the sound of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment